Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Books: Mediocre

While waiting for Clockwork Princess I read three mediocre-to-me books and started a fourth:

I can think of nothing positive to say about Alyson Noel's Evermore (The Immortals, Book 1). It is Twilight fan fiction gone wrong. Its storyline and characters are poorly constructed and written. Noel's writing is fractured, lacks a coherent narrative, and not a single scene is truly brought to life. The book is strictly amateur, and not in a good way.

Wake (Dream Catcher, Book 1) by Lisa McMann has a good premise and reads well, but Cabel's secret identity, ability to effortlessly manipulate his dreams, and the book's all-too-perfect ending ruined it for me. I wish the author had taken the characters in another direction.

The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda reminds me of Carrie Ryan's The Forest of Hands and Teeth. Both are horror books that would translate well to the silver screen. They're descriptive, fast-paced, and offer a fairly unique take on vampires/zombies and the human race in a post-apocalyptic world. I envision them as B-rated date night fodder, but, to be fair, I'm just not a fan of this genre.

So far Point Blank (Alex Rider, Book 2) by Anthony Horowitz is a lightweight spy/espionage adventure novel. Alex Rider, a 14-year-old MI6 agent, infiltrates an elite boarding school to investigate the mysterious deaths of two students' rich and powerful fathers. It's certainly entertaining, but laughably implausible.

No comments:

Post a Comment