Friday, November 8, 2013

Crafts: Mathilde

Here's Tilly and the Buttons' Mathilde. I love her details: tucks, button-down back, blousy sleeves, and bateau neckline.

The downloadable pattern includes only basic instructions, but Tilly offers step-by-step construction details and photos on her blog. She also provides thorough instructions on how to shorten the sleeves, add gathers, remove the tucks, and make a dress-length version. You get a lot with your pattern purchase!

I used a lovely, autumnal cotton lawn and brown pearl snaps (idea from Make Something). I sewed a size 3 with size 1 bust darts, and the fit is just right.

I did make a few very minor modifications: sleeve cuffs have no interfacing and are sewn with 3/8-inch seams; the neckline has bias binding, no facings; and I added 1.5 inches to the blouse length.

I will definitely be making more! I have some Joel Dewberry rayon set aside for a short-sleeved, tuck-less version.

4 comments:

  1. I just tried to leave a comment but it seems to have gotten lost. Forgive me if I end up commenting twice. I just found your blog via the Liesl and Co flickr group and I'm having fun looking at all of your projects. I love your Mathilde. I have this pattern waiting to be made and I am thinking of doing a sleeveless version for my first one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Mathilde is a great pattern. I needed to refer to Tilly's blog when sewing the back opening and hem; I found that part a bit tricky. I'd love to see your sleeveless version!

      Delete
  2. Cute, the style and fabric go really well together :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I love this blouse, and I'll wear it for as many autumns as I can!

      Delete